I’ve been perfecting this pancake recipe for about 7 years if I’m honest with you. One of my favourite stay at home Sunday Brunches is fluffy American pancakes – the super thick kind! I love that you can make the sweet or savoury.
Fluffy American Pancakes
Keep reading for my favourite quick and easy fluffy American pancakes recipe which has been adjusted and perfected from BBC Good Food:
Ingredients List (serves 2 people – makes 6 – 8 pancakes):
- 150g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder (don’t be stingy!)
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2½ tablespoon of caster sugar
- 150ml milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp butter (plus extra from your pan)
Flavouring and Toppings (you can choose but here’s some suggestion!)
- Chocolate chips, strawberries, bananas and Nutella
- Maple Syrup and streaky bacon
- Bacon and Egg
American Pancakes How To:
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and pour into a small bowl.
- Place the bowl in the fridge to cool the butter – you’ll need to keep an eye on it as you don’t want to to go solid again
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and caster sugar in a bowl.
- In a measuring jug, use a fork to whisk together the milk and egg. Then whisk in the melted butter. You’ll need to make sure the butter is cool enough or it will majorly curdle.
- Once you pour the butter into the eggs and milk, don’t stop whisking the mixture together (it helps to avoid curdling even more!)
- Pour the eggs, milk and butter into the flour mixture and, using a fork, beat until you have a smooth batter. Mix for a good 5 minutes until all the lumps have disappeared.
- At this point, if you’d like to make chocolate chip pancakes, add 100g of chocolate chips into the mixture and stir to spread out. place the mixture to one side.
- Before beginning to cook your pancakes, prepare your topping. If you need to chop anything, now is the time.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and add a knob of butter. When the butter has melted, add a spoonful of batter to the frying pan. You may find that if you added chocolate chips and they are near the sides, your pancake may not be a perfect circle.
- When the top of the pancake begins to bubble, turn it over. Both sides should be a lovely shade of golden brown and don’t be afraid to adjust the heat if they are cooking the outside too quickly.
- Repeat until all the batter is used up. This recipe will get you around 6 – 8 pancakes depending on how big you make them!
My suggestions for toppings and decoration:
- Spread a layer of Nutella on each pancake then stack them on top of each other.
- Add a generous helping of chopped strawberries and bananas to the top of the pancakes.
- Sprinkle some extra chocolate chips over the plate.
So that’s my quick and easy fluffy American Pancakes Recipe. Let me know if you make them in the comments below.